Friday, December 10, 2010

Tiny Hat Ornaments How-To

I'm re-posting this fun DIY because it was such a hit last year! If you make any little hats and take pics, post a link 'cause I'd love to see them --- like these ones here! So cute!

-------------------------------------------------------

 Here's the how-to for that little winter hat ornament I showed you last week. A friend taught me how to make these when we were in middle school and we stayed up all night making a huge pile of them to sell at the school craft fair. And that's how I paid my way through college! (juuuust kidding)

You'll need some yarn, a pair of scissors, a ruler, and a piece of a paper towel roll cut about 1/2" thick.

Cut a handful of yarn strands about 10" long. I find it easiest to wrap them around an appropriately-sized book and cut them as shown.
Make a loop with one piece of yarn and stick the loop up through the cardboard roll.
Wrap the two ends of the yarn up around the front of the cardboard roll and through the loop. Pull tight.
Do this all the way around the loop. You can make it a single color, alternating colors, whatever! It looks like a little hula skirt at this point.
Then turn it inside out by pushing all the yarn ends up through the cardboard roll.
Then tie them tightly with another piece of yarn.
Trim the little pompom at the top of the hat and there ya go! Feel free to leave it as is or embellish it with ribbon, rickrack, buttons, glitter, etc!

-------------------------------------------------------

Happy Crafting!
Arian

12 comments:

kat @ withachanceof said...

eep! this is so cute!!! i must make one ASAP! thank you for sharing such a great idea! ^.^

Allie said...

This is so CUTE!
I'm definitely going to make a few of these for my tree!
:)

Lady Fromage said...

cutest thing ever!!! I've been working on needle felting mini rats for our tree (we have 7, and rodent ornamants are hard to come by). I'm pretty sure I'll be putting them all in these darling hats! :)

STEENIE said...

OH MY!!! LOVE THIS!

Carol Anne said...

I made this last year and I just pulled it out last night to put up on the tree! Loved this diy!

Lisa Ensor said...

LOVE these! Thank you- I'm going to try and make a few for gifts :)

Anonymous said...

absolutely adorable!

soknitpicky said...

I found you on Pinterest. Thank you so much for these instructions. My girls and I had fun making these hats, and they'll make an excellent addition to our yarn-themed Christmas tree this year!

Jay said...

Thank you so much for this blog post. I made the hats with my 10 yo son last night and made the sock snowmen with my 6yo daughter. We had a lovely time and they are thrilled with their crafting

Unknown said...

I made one and i am just so in love! they are great and easy!

Sandra MarieSol said...

We did this for a Senior activity, the Folks had a blast making these! THANK YOU!!! <3 <3 <3

KnittingBetsy said...

This is a great way to make little hats! So very cute! Thank you for sharing this tutorial.
Betsy in the freezing cold Seattle suburbs